December 26, 2011

I'm tapping these words out late on Christmas Eve.  The little ones are in restful sleep, and I know that I should be too.  But first I need to take a moment in the stillness to look around.

The breakfast table is set with paper plates and painted place cards ~ trying to keep it all simple, yet still special.  The gifts are waiting for the unwrapping under our miniature Norfolk pine tree.  And this year, I spotted a bag of gold chocolate coins and thought how fun it would be to have them leading to the Christmas tree.  So yes, there is a pathway of riches leading from the girls' bedrooms to the tree.  

In spite of all the excitement, I hope that they can still remember the true treasures of Christmas.


We knew Christmas would be different this year with neither snowflakes, nor family gathering around our home. But in spite of this lack, we've spent the last few weeks preparing, for isn't it in the preparing and in the waiting that our hearts find the Joy?   With decorations stored in Canada, we strung popcorn garland and  paper chains across walls and windows, and filled a Christmas card string from end to end with precious holiday greetings {Thank you}. We planned the annual Christmas party for when little girlfriends come for tea and games and gingerbread and a little gift - this year a corn husk doll.  We took time to light the candles and to read our Jesse Tree readings and to play carols on the flute.   We needed to take time to be quiet, and we did.  We were blessed by unexpected gifts from neighbours - cookies and carols and gifts for the girls. And somehow the unexpectedness of the gifts, made it so much more the sweeter.

It has all been very good.


In all of this preparing and waiting, I have come across some Christmas-y treasures to add to our traditions. I have always loved traditions for the sentimental, fuzzy feelings that they seem to bring, but I'm recognizing the need for more of our traditions to reflect a deeper, purposeful meaning.   Can I share a couple of my favourite gifts with you here?

Miss Read Christmas Novels ~  I read No Holly for Miss Quinn last week and it was a perfectly charming novel to enjoy just before Christmas.  Other Christmas novels by Miss Read include: Christmas at Fairacre , Christmas at Thrushgreen, Village Christmas, and Christmas Mouse.  Maybe something to tuck away for next year's season?

A Treasury of Christmas Songs ~ I tend to bring out the flute around Christmas to play carols for the girls and the husband too :),  so I was delighted when I randomly brought this book home from the library and discovered what a "treasury" it really was. It is composed of 25 common Christmas songs {mostly carols}available with easy key signatures, a little write-up about the history of each song, and art, from the masters, representing each piece of music.  It is beautiful to look at and something that both myself and the rest of the family have enjoyed.

Wishing you and your home a cozy Christmas week!